Friday, December 24, 2010

My 5 Best Albums of 2010

5.  Blackjazz by Shining

Norwegian band plays really progressive industrial jazzy (using sax!!) metal with surprisingly catchy hooks.   Who would thought the number "1375" is so catchy,  I found myself singing along to this song.



4. Option Paralysis by The Dillinger Escape Plan

DEP go back to the sound of Miss Machine after their disappointing  Ire Works which was way too electronic and poppish for me.  Farewell Mona Lisa, the first single off the album, is  2 minutes of complete mayhem , and then a verse that is as beautiful as it is unexpected.  It's the aural equivalent of travelling through a hurricane and then hitting the eye of the storm.



3. Spiral Shadow by Kylesa

Stoner/Sludge metallers return with their 2nd album in 2 years, and it's amazing. They are moving away from the heavy sound of previous albums and really heading into very psychedelic and indie territory on this album. Some of it even reminds me of bands like My Bloody Valentine.  Hell check out the song below and you can see what I am talking about.




2. My Beautiful Dark Twisted Fantasy by Kanye West

"Let's hear it for the douchebag" sings Kanye West on the song Runaway off his latest album. I still hate this douchebag for all his dumbass antics, but I have to admit he's a musical genius who has an eye for the most insane beats and samples. Here he is sampling King Crimson's "21st Century Schizoid Man" :



1. The Archandroid by Janelle Monae

A concept album about an android who is sent back in time to free her people from an oppressive society, this album is all over the place in a good way. Part James Brown, part Santana, part Hendrix, part Ziggy Stardust  and part a million other things. this is the most exhilarating thing I heard in a while .




Other good albums:

The Suburbs by Arcade Fire
Diamond Eyes by Deftones
The Powerless Rise by As I Lay Dying