Friday, December 19, 2008

Song of the year: Ding Dong Song (You Touch my TraLaLa)

I am completely hooked on this song despite all its detractors. The problem is they all think it's a song about sex. But they are wrong. Gunther actually writes one of the most heartfelt and vulnerable songs I have ever had the pleasure to listen to. Let's break down the lyrics.

oh, you touch my tralala,
mmm... my ding ding dong.


I think it's obvious they mean "heart" and "soul" respectively. Gunther starts off the song by yearning for someone to touch him emotionally to make him feel alive.

Deep in the night,
i'm looking for some fun,
deep in the night,
i'm looking for some love.


Gunther here first seems like he's just another player looking to score some booty, but then the 2nd line reveals the truth - it's just a facade, he is actually looking to be loved.

Also the video shows very obvious clues to his heartbreak. He's in the video with a whole bevy of scantily-clad chicks, but not once does he approach them. In fact he actually usually stands far away from them. The final scene is the most revealing. As the girls pop open his champagne bottle, he flinches and draws back, unwilling to partake in the celebration as he realizes that an orgy is not going to solve his loneliness.

Video (Possibly NSFW):

3 comments:

  1. HA. Nice try. He sure does look like Weird Al.

    ReplyDelete
  2. No acknowledgement of me, your online resource for bizarre videos and muse for your blog. Damn you. No more hello kitty candies for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. tsk tsk bert.... I don't know about NSFW... but "Tralala" and "dingdingdong"?

    I'm reasonably certain that someone will sing this at a Getai later in the year.

    ;)

    ReplyDelete