Sunday, November 12, 2006

Am now in Tampa bay , FL

Didn't have the best experience at the airport. 2 words for ya - Racial profiling. I got stopped for "random" checks at almost every counter at the Detroit airport, it got really annoying.

And then there was this really bad experience with the woman who stamped my passport. She mentioned that my name was spelt wrong, so out of curiosity I leaned over and tried to read my name off her screen. Immediately she stared at me and went "Sir, please do NOT look at the computer screen. If you were supposed to read what is on there, it would be facing you." Like seriously, what's up with the attitude, bitch? K so I shouldn't have tried to look, but there no need for the sarcasm, was there?

That was not the end of it. Her colleague who was standing beside her then started questioning me a series of really dumb questions.

Woman: Are you originally from India? (while looking at my singaporean passport)
Me: No.
Woman: Are your parents from India?
Me: No.
Woman: Are any of your ancestors from India?

Wow, nice deduction Einstein! I was really tempted to ask her if any of her ancestors were originally from Africa (she was black), but decided not to because I wasn't really in the mood to be called in for a strip search. So I replied that my grandparents were from India, and she smiled in response, probably pleased with herself for her deductive skills.

Alright I have to rush back into the conference room right now so more updates from me later.

1 comment:

  1. Imagine if you'd done this instead.

    Woman: Are you originally from India?
    You: No.
    Woman: Are your parents from India?
    You: No.
    Woman: Are any of your ancestors from India?
    You: (calmly) KNNBCJB.
    Woman: What?
    You: I said, yes, my grandparents were from India. (OPTIONAL - Followed by: Wow, you're smart!)

    ReplyDelete