Friday, June 02, 2006

When a seat is not just a seat

I called her in yesterday morning for a meeting. I haven't seen her since the day she moved to the other seat. That was almost a week ago. I had so much to say to her, but I wanted to do it in private, that was why I called for the meeting. My heart fluttered when she entered the room, but I tried to remain cool and composed.


She: So what's up?
Me : I....I...I....


I had so many things to say to her.

I wanted to tell her how much she hurt me when she left that seat beside me for another, how it create this huge void that no one else could fill.
I wanted to tell her how it took every ounce of my will to not burst into tears every time I turn around and see that empty vacuum that she once occupied.
I wanted to tell her how it felt like a million knives stabbing me each time I heard the laughter and giggles she and the other guy shared.
I wanted to tell her how empty I felt inside without her by my side.
I wanted to tell her to stop seating beside that new guy.
I wanted to ask her what kind of woman does that - to sit with one guy one day and then go off to sit with a completely different guy the next?
I wanted to tell her to come back to her rightful seat, the one beside mine.


But I didn't. I couldn't. Because I realized at that point that I have to be professional about this, she is my intern and I am her superior. I might not like her slutty seating habits, but I have no right to impose my seating values on her. Damn my morals.


Me: I...I just wanted to tell you that you been kinda slacking the past week. I am not happy about that. Like that day last week when you came in 2 minutes late. We are not paying you to come late you know.



Before you think I was doing this out of revenge, let me assure you I am not. As I mentioned before I am keeping it strictly professional. I mean if she comes 2 minutes late everyday for the rest of her internship it would like probably accumulate into a day. That is completely unacceptable alright.


Her: Oh...I am sorry, it was raining heavily that day....
Me : That's not an excuse. It's your responsibilty to have an umbrella on you at all times. Or you could have ran. Stop blaming forces of nature for your attitude!!
Her: Oh....Ok. It will not happen again.
Me : See that it doesn't. That's all. You may leave now. (And I turned my back at her)


She turns and starts to leave.

Me: One more thing. I just want you to know something. I will keep this seat beside me free, in case you ever decide to come back.

I didn't even turn to see her response. But she didn't even say thanks, that really upset me. Sometimes people just aren't grateful it seems. I turned around and looked at the empty seat beside me. But I didn't feel sad anymore. I know she will be back soon. I don't know how I knew, but I just did.

9 comments:

  1. Gilbert...You have taken delusion to a whole new level my friend.

    Then again, I'm a sucker for your delusions and I keep coming back. WHY?

    Zee

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's right honey. She'd be crazy not to.

    But I see we've forgotten all about that Army guy.

    I miss you, you weird man.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Okay, I am buying you a goldfish.

    ReplyDelete
  4. yeah femme person is right. you need a goldfish.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Does anyone really want to deal with the aftermath if the goldfish dies?

    ReplyDelete
  6. We'll get a dwarf hamster next?
    :P

    ReplyDelete
  7. Goldfish are pointless. All they do is swim around and shimmer golden-ly in the light.

    But given the current state of affairs, I suppose the Stallion could use one.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I don't need a goldfish, I need a woman. It's been a while since I last felt the touch of a woman.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh honey, not everyone wants to hear about how horny you are.

    See, now I'm pretty sure a goldfish isn't the best idea.

    ReplyDelete