Thursday, June 22, 2006

Music: Different ways of promoting a new single/album

I love how bands/singers nowadays are coming out with all these pretty creative ways to promote their albums and generate buzz. 3 recent and very different examples I noticed were Paris Hilton, Lamb of God and Mastodon.

Yes, Paris Hilton has a new single out. The former sex tape star has now decided to move out of the adult film industry and into the music industry. I saw it on MTV, it was this reggae sounding track about diamonds or something. Which is quite appropriate because when you think of reggae, the first thing that comes to your head are diamonds and rich heiresses. But anyway apparently the single mustn't be doing too well so she found a way to promote it herself: She played her own song in her car while she was being stalked by the paparazzi. And then she and her friend started grooving to it.

Fine I am not a musician I will admit, but it does seem a TAD lame to listen to and dance to your OWN song in front of the media. Maybe she thought that if people saw how much she enjoyed her own song they would be compelled to like it too. You know, just like the sex video. You can watch the video of her getting jiggy with it here. (Link taken from Celebrity Terrorist.)

Next is Mastodon, a progressive metal band who are coming out with a new album Blood Mountain soon. To promote it they created this website where you have a jigsaw puzzle whose pieces are actually parts of the album cover - you get to see the complete album cover upon completing the jigsaw. Pretty cool eh? It took me around 8 minutes and was pretty fun to do so check it out here.

Next is Lamb of God, one of my favorite bands at the moment. Their new album Sacrament is coming out soon, so they posted their first single Redneck on this website where you can listen to it with a flash enabled browser. Anyway you might not like the song (it's metal) , but the website is really cool. It's like an Ouija board and you move that little triangle thing to reveal words (lyrics?). Go check it out, but turn down your volume first!

Oh and they will be heading down to Brisbane in August for a concert. I am seriously contemplating heading down there to see them. Anyone else interested?

Update: K the song by Paris is Stars are Blind. Stars, jewellery it's almost the same thing.

technorati tags:, , ,

Blogged with Flock

6 comments:

  1. Your Ex Coll - KCFriday, 23 June, 2006

    Hey dude how's life? Have not been talking to you for so long. Hope things are great for you.. For me I m still struggling but yet still alrite haha.. :P

    ReplyDelete
  2. Errm I know only one KC and he's still working with me leh.

    ReplyDelete
  3. ex coll frm SUN - KCFriday, 23 June, 2006

    Hey u forget me already? e gal u used to went out for movie and dinner .. make a guess.. hehehe :P

    ReplyDelete
  4. OH Karen, yeah it's been a while. We should catch up soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey dude.. drop me a msg from fren.. Here from ya soon... Take Care dude.. Have fun over the weekend.. Cheers~~

    ReplyDelete
  6. I mean drop me a msg from frenster.. if u cant get me hehe :P

    ReplyDelete