Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Letting go is hard to do

It really is. It's hard to let go of something that you have treasured and cherished for many years, even when sometimes you know that's the only right thing to do.

I been with her for the 10 years. All this time I shared my bed with her and her alone, but I decided last weekend that I needed to make a change. She was getting a bit off putting nowadays. I guess there is only so much drool a pillow can take before it starts to smell. K my family have been complaining that she smelled for a while now but only recently did I notice the pungent odor. And I could almost swear I heard things wriggling underneath me as I slept sometimes.

So over the weekend I bought a new pillow. One with down feathers. I didn't wanna get another polyester pillow, it would remind me too much of her.

I went back and brought the pillow to my room. There she was, sitting at the side of the bed. There was a certain sadness in its face now, it was as if she knew her time was up. I dropped the new pillow and ran to her and gave her a hug. One final hug. And I don't know why but tears started falling off my eyes.

After what seemed like an eternity I got up. I took a bag and placed her. very gently, inside. Took her to the garbage dump. I left her at the side, I couldn't bear to throw her into the garbage container with all the other trash. I owed her at least that.

I went back and tried out my new pillow. It was incredibly soft. It was as if I was really sleeping on the bodies of a hundred ducklings. I fell asleep almost instantly.

The next morning I passed by the garbage dump on the way to work. She was gone, probably incinerated by now. But her memory will always live on in me.

technorati tags:, ,

14 comments:

  1. You can take the Indian out of Bollywood but you cannot take the Bollywood out of the Indian.


    Zee

    ReplyDelete
  2. This might sound really mean but I am going to say it. I pity your pillow, for it is obviously unloved.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This new pillow you have right now, I hate to break it to you man, but it's not gonna work out. It's clearly a rebound pillow. You gotta allow some time and go pillowless for now even though it sounds unfathomable to the core.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Aim: Don't you think I know that?? But what else can I do. I been with my pillow since I was a kid, how do you expect me to just go pillowless? It's much easier to say it then to do it ok. You have no idea what it's like!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. It's always really hard to give up your pillow. I'm suprised you managed to hold on to yours for ten whole years though.
    -hug- Love ya Bertie.

    ReplyDelete
  6. My 13 year old pillow sends his condolences. Says she has gone to pillow heaven. Be strong Bert.

    ReplyDelete
  7. pillows ought to be punched the daylights out of.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Bertie Baby......Sorry for your lost. You can always have my busty bosom to lay on if you want......always

    Bertie's Hunny

    ReplyDelete
  9. OMG BERTIE YOU'RE CHEATING ON ME

    ReplyDelete
  10. amen. reminds me of my own booboo from so long ago.

    *wept*

    what is booboo you ask. its the underwear I like to wear on my head till the grand old age of 5.

    what, cant we get sentimental about our underwears?! hmmpf.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Bratty: That's what you call love, love.

    ThugChic: Wow 13 years eh. That's amazing. U know how I feel then.

    Hunny: Please email me a pic of your bosom before i agree.

    Preethos: I dont even know her! I swear!

    Jean: K that's just weird, woman.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing wrong with being sentimental about underwear. The wearing on head thing, I admit, slightly off.
    You better love me enough to keep me around for MUCH longer then 10 years dammit! I RSS thingamagie enabled for you!

    ReplyDelete
  13. NNNOoooooooOO :(!!!!

    My 27 yr-old is still alive and kicking. She also shares the bed with me and two other very voluptuous and expensive Japanese 'Pearl' pillows.

    ReplyDelete