Friday, June 24, 2005

Who is Slipknot?

Image hosted by Photobucket.com
"We are dangerous and that's why we should be locked up in a cage."

Slipknot is a 9-member nu metal band that burst into the scene way back in 1997 and gained a lot of attention for their scary costumes/masks and angsty lyrics.

Sample lyrics (from the song Surfacing):

F**k it all! F**k this world!
F**k everything that you stand for!
Don't belong! Don't exist!
Don't give a shit!
Don't ever judge me!


Alright so they aren't exactly lyrical poets but the music more than makes up for it. They play metal with some hip hop influences and they have a DJ as well, he's the guy with the spikes in his head. When I first heard them in 1998 I thought they were the heaviest stuff I ever heard, but that was before I discovered bands like Lamb of God, Killswitch Engage and Shadows Fall. However Slipknot was the band that introduced me to growling vocals, I never like those kind of vocals before, so without them I would have never given the bands above a chance.

I am not as big a fan as I was back then, but they do have some really kickass songs and their theatrics on stage should be pretty cool to watch. They are currently touring with Shadows Fall who are my favorite band of the moment, so if those guys come down as well in August it would really make my day.

Update: Just saw this on the Roadrunner (Slipknot's label) website. Can you spot the horrific error there? (Hint: It's the Singapore entry) Let's see how long it takes before they correct it.

8 comments:

  1. oh great..JUST when i was about to ask you to stop posting anymore about slipknot (whaaat..i dont listen to them..i cant RELATE to the post!)

    Jeeez...singapore, CHINA?!!

    That's what spikes through your head do to you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oi Bertie darling,
    I'm looking for an apartment. Preferably 2-bdrm somewhere roundabouts the town area. Got anyone who might be able to help? Been looking at rentals and nearly went cross-eyed with the listings and the prices. =[
    -yammys

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mahima: Thank you dearie. Yes those people think Singapore is part of China. Amazing isn't it.

    Yammy: Don't know anyone who can help sorry.

    Anonymous : Hi Jackass.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Erm, no. The guy with "spikes" in his head is Craig, and he's the sampling/synth player of the band. The dj's name is Sid Wilson, and If I am correct, he's the ones the farthest right on the top.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ha Kayla, thanks for the correction.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sid Wilson is the one dangling from the rafters with an old old fashioned gas mask on it's the bases for his masks from the original slipknot self title album and the Iowa album.

    ReplyDelete
  7. LOVE SLIPKNOT EVERY SONG EVERY MEMBER EVERY THING ABOOUT THEM I LOVE THEM I U CAN BE OBSSESED I AM HHHHHHEEEEEEELLLL YAAAA RROCK ON SLIPKNOT ILL ALWAYS LOVE YOU ALWAY

    ReplyDelete