Monday, March 21, 2005

Hope Sucks

Hope sucks.

It really does. The problem with hope is that it raises your expectations that much higher, setting you up for a even bigger fall when what you had hoped for doesn't materialize. I have always told myself it is better to be pessimistic rather than optimistic; the reason being that at least for the former if things turn out well you are pleasantly surprised. But for the latter, if things don't happen the way you wanted them to you will most probably be doubly disappointed. So I told myself why take the risk?

But thinking about what not to do is one thing, but not doing it is something else altogether. Because no matter how pessimistic I am, I still sometimes fall into the trap of giving in to this evil beast called hope. Like if I had a previous really amazing experience that totally blew my mind, something I cherished so much that I can't help but hope it happens again. I am sure some of you do know what I am talking about. You are probably nodding your head and going "Yup, I been there". And that is what happened here with me.

Yup damn you Mars Volta. Their first album completely blew me away the first time I heard it, and I couldn't help but be all excited for the coming of their sophomore album. I had high hopes for this one, I was sure that it would mesmerise me the same way the first one did, if not more. Unfortunately that turned out not to be the case. I been listening to the damn album on repeat for almost 2 weeks, thinking that it would just be a matter of time before the brilliance of it hits me. Hey that's the case with most of my favorite albums (Anema by Tool, Ok Computer by Radiohead), they were horribly difficult to get into and required repeated listens from me before I got it.

But it doesn't seem to be the case with Frances the Mute. I desperately wanted to love it. It's technically even more brilliant that their previous one (Omar's solos are simply out of this world at times), but for some unknown reason it just doesn't move me like De-loused did. Like I want it to. That's what great music is supposed to do isn't it? To make you feel.

Hope sucks. It really does.

5 comments:

  1. what does Mars Volta sing?

    I'm dead serious.

    I've heard of them, but I don't think I know anything they do.

    ReplyDelete
  2. fret not...
    system of a down's new album is out soon..till then...hang in there.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dawn :

    Oh go check out their earlier album Deloused in the Comatarium., it's amazing. If I have to categorise them I would call it prog-punk. It's really out there you know.

    Arzish: Yeah now I don't dare have any high hopes for that album. Must keep my expectations low, one huge disappointment is enough.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Stallion Rocks. I wanna sleep with him. Naked.

    ReplyDelete
  5. You gotta get in line, anonymous. :)

    ReplyDelete