Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Jamie Cullum annoys me.

This guy tries to hide his lack of talent by covering other artists' songs. So far I have heard two really bad covers of "High and Dry" and "The Wind Cries Mary" from him. Hey Jamie, here is an idea, how about actually showcasing your own material rather than relying on proven hits to sell yourself? Well at least one good thing came out of it - it got me digging out my "Bends" CD to listen to the original version of High and Dry.

Speaking of music, this year has been a rather disappointing for me in terms of good music. I would say I have only heard one album that I would consider essential listening this year - The End of Heartache by Killswitch Engage. But I did finally realize the brillance of System of a Down, bought their Toxicity album 3 years ago but never really got into it till I listened to it again 6 months ago. They are officially on my "bands to catch live before I die" list now.

So what is the song High and Dry about anyway you ask? Ok you probably didn't ask but I will tell ya.

Two jumps in a week
I bet you think that's pretty clever don't you boy.
Flying on your motorcycle.
Watching all the ground beneath you drop.
You'd kill yourself for recognition.
Kill yourself to never ever stop.
You broke another mirror.
You're turning into something you are not.

High and Dry from the album "The Bends"


To me it's about not changing yourself (and trying to be something you are not) to please others. Go check the album out if you haven't already, it's a classic.

No comments:

Post a Comment