Friday, August 20, 2004

Jawbreaker

Just found out that one of the first ever rock CDs I bought way back in 1994 is now apparently going for US$70++ on ebay as it has been out of print for a while now, how cool is that! I am talking about Jawbreaker's major label debut Dear You. I actually bought this album after reading a glowing review in a local magazine who mistakenly labelled it as grunge, and me being the huge grunge nut back then decided to get it. Well it definitely isn't grunge (if I had to define the sound I would call it melancholic pop-punk) but man I am glad I bought it, although it took me several listens to really get into it. The lyrics are really amazing and once it gets a hold of ya you can't help but sing along to it. I can still remember the times back in junior college when me and James used to sing along to "Jet Black".

The album was a flop when it first came out, mainly because it was released at a time when grunge was overwhelming the airwaves. And it sounded too commercial for punk fans at that time. However apparently the album began to gain a cult following many years after it was released which is why the original pressing is now a collector's item. But no way I am selling it. If you are looking for a punk band that can actually play and write good lyrics unlike crap like Blink 182 and Sum 42 then you should really check it out, it has been re-issued as an enhanced CD with bonus tracks and a music video.

No comments:

Post a Comment