Saturday, June 05, 2004

Review : Vol 3 : The Subliminal Verses

Finally got my copy of Slipknot's latest album which I been looking forward to for quite a while now, despite the rather disappointing Iowa. And so far it sounds really amazing, it's very different from the first 2 albums. Firstly, there are actually a few acoustic tracks in here. Secondly, they have actually have quite a few guitar solos that immediately reminded me of those from those 80s speed metal bands. Thirdly it's very prog-ish at parts, they really upped the experimentation on this one. Finally Joey actually sings a lot more - he has always had a pretty good singing voice and he uses it to good effect here. Still gonna need a few more listens to get into the whole album, but for a sampler check out "Vermillion Pt. 2", a really beautiful ballad.

Yes I am finally back from Shanghai, flew back yesterday afternoon. So what can I say about my experience there? Well for one I love the weather to death, so much so I am starting to miss it already. It's cool the entire day and I didn't even sweat once. The traffic was pretty scary though - I am not exaggerrating when I say I get a little scared everytime I cross the road; in this land vehicles rule, pedestrians only have the sound of a blaring horn to warn them to get out of the way. And add to that they drive on the wrong side of the road (similar to US and other European countries) and it was quite disconcerting.

The food was amazing, I am not really a fan of Chinese cuisine in Singapore but the food there is something else. The best food we had was at this stall down a dark alley where there were cats like sniffing around our table.

Only thing I didn't like was that there were quite a few beggars on the streets and they mainly target people who aren't Chinese looking. I got harassed by quite a few of them, they were pulling at my shirt and pants and followed me for quite a distance. My colleagues on the other hand weren't harassed even once - they could probably wave wads of money around and probably would not still be disturbed.

All in all it was an enjoyable experience, I definitely needed a break from my workplace and it proved to be just the thing, I feel a whole lot better now.

No comments:

Post a Comment