Thursday, November 20, 2003

You know the saying "Ignorance is bliss"? I never knew the full meaning of that phrase until very recently. Yeah sometimes it is much easier when you don't know about certain things, for the simple fact that what you don't know cannot affect you. Of course it might sound like denial, and it probably is in a way. But when there is a certain situation that you have to face very often, it really helps when you aren't reminded of the harsh reality, because when you are, it will affect you no matter how much you try not to let it.

Oh I need to get out of the house this Saturday otherwise I will be forced to assume the role of house mover for a "friend" of my dad. No I am not being selfish, it's just someone I really really don't like. *Refrains from using the word 'hate'*

Lately I been thinking about what the word "friend" means. Looked it up at dictionary.com and there was this 2 meanings.

1. A person whom one knows, likes, and trusts.
2. A person whom one knows; an acquaintance.

Pretty interesting because the first definition automatically implies the second one but the opposite is not necessarily true. And also the know part is ambiguous, how well must you know a person before you can call him or her a friend? Or is it just enough to just "know" of the existence of that person?

The reason why I been wondering about this is because lately, friendships that I thought I had either totally evaporated or weren't as real as thought they were. I have always been really quick to call people friends, but now it seems to me I have to choose who I consider a friend with much more caution. Well when I figure it out you will be the first to know.

Oh and I been reading Sophie's World , "a novel about the history of philosophy". Can't say I love it, I have to admit some parts of it are really deep and I tend to get lost until I have no idea what they are talking about. But can't really give an opinion until I finish the whole book.

No comments:

Post a Comment