Tuesday, July 15, 2003


Homosexuality

Alright read a letter in the Straits Times Forum today by a Mr. George Lim who protests rather strongly against the goverment allow gay people to hold key positions within the government. His argument is that homosexuality is morally wrong (doesn't really say why) and therefore socially unacceptable. So he is afraid that through the government's decision , that gays will slowly be accepted into society resulting in gay marriages and then in the future even be allowed to adopt and raise children, which he doesn't believe should ever be allowed. And then he goes on to say that the government should take 'sound and responsible action to protect young citizens from the corrupting influence of immoral behaviour'. Of cos the immoral behavior is homosexuality. Oh and he put homosexuals in the same category as criminals.

Ok in my opinion the biggest problem is all the arguments he puts forth is based on his beliefs and what he has heard rather than actual facts. He does not present any facts to support his claiim that gays are not born but rather made due to "negative influences in their lives' such as sexual abuse. Ditto for his claim that a child having gay parents would grow up corrupted and not knowing right from wrong. Or that gay people have the ability to influence children to be homosexuals themselves.

OK my own stand on homosexuality is that it is just a sexual preference ; the question of morality doesn't even come into play. Basically my principle in life is do whatever you want as long as you don't hurt anyone else. Very simplistic I know but it has served me pretty well so far. So by that principle there is nothing wrong with homosexuality. OK i have to admit I still feel uncomfortable seeing guys kiss , but thats my problem and I am trying to come to terms with it. And no I dun have any gay friends in real life either but then again I dun have that many straight friends either. Btw feel free to disagree with me of cos.

No comments:

Post a Comment