Sunday, June 22, 2003

The world has gone potty, or should I say Potter. I do not understand what it is about that book that drives adults to a state of temporary insanity; that they would wake up and go to the bookstore early in the morning just to get their hands on the book.

I read the first instalment after hearing all the hype but I found it really boring. Here was the same old fantasy cliche about a normal boy who finds out that he isn't normal after all; that he comes from an ancestry of great magicians and is destined to be one himself. The characters were all one-dimensional ; that kid monfrey is all mean and evil, while potter and his friends are the good angels, who when they break the rules, only do it because of good intentions.

I seriously urge people to go read "The Wizard of Earthsea" by Ursula Le Guin; it also tells of a story of a kid who goes to a magic school; I read it when I was in secondary school and it was the book that got me so interested in the whole fantasy genre. You can find out more about it here.

No comments:

Post a Comment